- Live cricket returns with the England vs West Indies series.
- Ben Stokes becomes England’s 81st test match captain after Joe Root is unavailable for the game due to the birth of his son.
- West Indies win the first test match to take a 1-0 lead in the series.
- In the second test match, England fights back through a Ben Stokes century to level the series 1-1.
- In the series decider, Kemar Roach becomes the first West Indies bowler in 26 years to reach the milestone of 200 test match wickets.
- Stuart Broad becomes just the 7th bowler in history to reach the milestone of 500 test match wickets after dismissing Kraigg Brathwaite in the second innings.
- England wins the deciding test match to regain the Wisden trophy with a 2-1 scoreline.
- The ICC ODI Super League is launched, 1 12-team competition with the top 7 teams gaining direct qualification to the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup. The first series in the league between England and Ireland is starting on the 30th of July.
- The ICC decides to postpone the 2020 ICC T20 World Cup to 2021.
- The IPL will be starting on the 19th of September and will be hosted by the UAE.
- Sri Lanka Cricket announces the launch of the Lankan Premier League, starting on the 28th of August.
- Real Madrid wins La Liga for the 34th time after defeating Villarreal 2-1.
- La Liga ends for the season with Real Madrid as the champions. Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Sevilla qualify for the Champions League. Villarreal, Real Sociedad and Granada qualify for the Europa League while Leganes, Mallorca and Espanyol are relegated.
- Liverpool wins the league title for the first time since 1990, and for the very first time in the Premier League era.
- The Premier League ends with Liverpool as the champions, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea earning Champions League qualification. Leicester City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur qualifying for the Europa League while Watford, Norwich and Bournemouth are relegated.
- PSG win the Coupe de France, defeating St.Etienne 1-0 in the final. However, Kylian Mbappe is injured ruling him out for 3 weeks.
- Juventus win the Serie A title for the 9th year in a row, defeating Sampdoria 2-0.
- The Ballon D’Or is cancelled for the year 2020 with no player being awarded the title for the year.
- Leeds United won promotion to the Premier League for the first time since 2004 with West Bromwich Albion joining them in the top flight.
- July 5 – 2020 Formula 1 season starts with the Austrian Grand Prix.
- July 5 – The Austrian GP was held at the Redbull Ring, Valtteri Bottas won from pole position with Charles Leclerc 2nd and the first time podium sitter Lando Norris 3rd.
- July 13 – The Styrian GP was held at the Redbull Ring. It was the first time ever in F1 history that a Grand Prix was held at the same track twice on the same season. Lewis Hamilton collected his first win of the season in pole position with his teammate and possible main championship rival Valtteri Bottas finishing 2nd with Max Verstappen finishing 3rd.
- July 19 – The Hungarian GP was held in the Hungaroring in Budapest. The race started with a damp track with Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz getting great off the line starts and the Haas team making a good gamble changing from wet tyres to mediums before the start of the race. The podium positions were, Hamilton 1st, Verstappen 2nd and Bottas 3rd.
- The US, Mexican and Brazillian GPs have been cancelled.
- F1 announces 3 races in Italy, F1 returns to the Nurburgring.
- Fernando Alonso comes back from retirement.
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympics which were scheduled to be held in this month has been postponed to 2021.